Jinshan Temple is located in the northwest of Zhenjiang City, Jiangsu Province. It was an island sitting upright on the Yangtze River Yangtze River tour
, and linked to the south land since the early period of the emperor Tongzhi (1861-1875 A.D.) of Qing Dynasty. As Jinshan Temple is built by Yangtze River, all buildings in the temple are backed on mountain. The whole temple covers the Jinshan Mountain, so only the temple within your vision while looking in a distance. It has a unique architecture style.
Legend of Water overflowing Jinshan Temple
Jinshan Temple affordable China travel packages
has many legends and fairy tales, and the most famous one is Tale of the White Snake. One of wonderful extracts was that there was a white python incarnated as a beautiful girl to marry a scholar Xuxian, and they had a happy life. But when Fahai (the founder of Jinshan Temple) learned that, he persuaded Xuxian to become a monk and made him hided in Jinshan Temple. In order to look for her husband, white python took theurgy to overflow Jinshan Temple.
Jinshan Temple has a history of above 1600 years. On the upper of the gate in Jinshan Temple hangs a tablet with Chinese characters of Jiangtian Buddhist Temple written by the emperor Qianlong (1735-1799 A.D.) of Qing Dynasty. The temple gate is open to the south generally, but the gate of Jinshan Temple faces to the west. So is built because visitors could view the boundless Yangtze River pouring down from the west gate of Jinshan Temple. Entering the gate is Hall of Heavenly King, and the next is Mahavira Hall.
Mahavira Hall is the main building in Jinshan Temple Public China Holidays
. It once was ruined of fire in 1948 and was reconstructed in 1985. It is a square building with the height of 25 meters. It mainly shrines statues of Sakyamuni, Amitabha and Medicine Buddha.
It is also called as Jinshan Tower. It was built 1400 years ago, and there were double towers in Tang (618-907 A.D.) and Song (960-1279A.D.) dynasties. There was a tower reconstructed only in Ming (1368-1644 A.D.) Dynasty and named it as Cishou Tower. But the tower was ruined again and reconstructed in Qing Dynasty (1644-1911 A.D.). The tower is wooden structure, and has winding stairs ascending to the top.
Ancient Fahai Cave
It is located on the cliff west under Cishou Tower China shopping
. It was said that it was the dwelling of Fahai (the founder of Jinshan Temple). The Cave keeps a statue of Fahai.
White Dragon Cave
White Dragon Cave is in the northwest of Jinshan Temple. It got the name due to a legend, and it was said that there were many white pythons surrounded Jinshan Temple, but when the nephew of the empress Wu Zetian (690-705 A.D., the first empress in China history) of Tang Dynasty made zazen, and white pythons rounded this cave and snake poison was gone too. White dragon mean to the white python.
It is located on the island, east of Jinshan Temple. It was built in 1779 to house Imperial Collection of Four. In 1782, the emperor Qianlong of Qing Dynasty decreed to keep one of Imperial Collection of Four in Jinshan Temple. It was the first library in the history of Zhenjiang City. But the Hall was destroyed in 1853. Wenzun Hall was one of the seven halls to house Imperial Collection of Four in China.
The highest point
There is a pavilion supported by stone pillars named Liuyun Pavilion, and it is the highest point in Jinshan Temple. There keeps a stone tablet with Chinese characters of Jiang Shan Yi Lan written by the emperor Kangxi (1661-1722A.D.) of Qing Dynasty. It is the best place to view whole Zhenjiang City.
- 2014/10/27(月) 12:38:32|
- Category: None